Are you getting ready for the BECE? Why not solve the following 2024 BECE 20 Top English Language Composition Questions? The 2024 BECE English essay questions shared here are divided into four broad sections, and each section has five questions to test you.
Teachers and schools can make very good use of these, while parents and students can also tap into these questions as revision materials.
Students are advised to plan their essays, brainstorm the questions, and jot down points to be explained before starting. In each instance, make sure you follow the organisation format for the question you are answering. Check your grammar, spelling, and expressions, and use the right tone in your essays.
2024 BECE 20 Top English Language Composition Questions
Friendly Letter Questions:
- Write to a friend who lives in another region of Ghana. Describe your favourite aspect of your community and why it’s special to you.
- Imagine you’ve been invited to a cultural exchange programme in another African country. Write a letter to your parents explaining what excites you about the opportunity and how you plan to prepare.
- You’ve received a surprise gift from a distant relative. Write a letter expressing your gratitude and share what makes the gift so meaningful.
- You and your classmates are planning a fundraiser for a local cause. Write a letter to potential sponsors explaining the importance of the cause and how your group will use the funds.
- You’ve just finished reading a book that truly resonated with you. Write a letter to the author, expressing your thoughts and feelings about the story and its characters.
Formal Letter Questions:
- Write a letter to the editor of a local newspaper expressing your opinion on a current issue affecting your community. Be sure to support your claims with evidence and propose a solution.
- You’ve witnessed an act of injustice or unfairness. Write a formal complaint to the appropriate authorities, outlining the situation and requesting action.
- Imagine you’re applying for a scholarship to further your education. Write a letter to the scholarship committee highlighting your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and aspirations for the future.
- You’ve noticed a safety hazard in your school or community. Write a formal letter to the responsible authorities, clearly describing the hazard and urging them to take corrective measures.
- You’re interested in joining a club or organisation at your school. Write a formal application letter introducing yourself, explaining your qualifications, and expressing your enthusiasm for the group’s activities.
Descriptive/Narrative Essay Questions:
The 2024 BECE 5 Top English Language Composition Questions (Descriptive/Narrative Essay)
- Describe a memorable experience you’ve had in your community, highlighting the sights, sounds, smells, and emotions that made it unique.
- Imagine you’re on a journey to a historical landmark in Ghana. Describe the sights, sounds, and feelings you encounter along the way, and explain what makes the landmark significant.
- Write a story about a character who overcomes a challenge or obstacle, focusing on their emotions, thoughts, and actions.
- Describe a day in the life of a person you admire, focusing on their daily routines, challenges, and accomplishments.
- Imagine you have the ability to travel through time. Choose a specific historical event in Ghana and write a narrative describing your experience witnessing it firsthand.
Debating/Argumentative Essay Questions:
The Debating/Argumentative Essay Questions that make up the last five of the 2024 BECE 20 Top English Language Composition Questions
- Should the government prioritise investment in infrastructure or education? Analyse the arguments for and against each option, and present your own well-supported conclusion.
- Is technology a blessing or a curse for young people in Ghana? Discuss the positive and negative impacts of technology on education, social interaction, and mental health.
- Should traditional Ghanaian values be preserved at all costs, or should they be adapted to the modern world? Analyse the arguments for and against each perspective, and present your own reasoned opinion.
- Is it more important for individuals to focus on personal achievement or contributing to the community? A tip for answering this question: Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each approach, and argue for the one you believe is more valuable.
- Should Ghana focus on developing its own industries or rely on foreign investment? A tip for answering this question: Analyse the economic, social, and political implications of each option, and present your preferred approach with supporting evidence.
We hope these 2024 BECE 20 Top English Language Composition Questions will challenge your thinking and writing skills.